We do everything possible to make our auctions fair and transparent. Please read the following information before you bid and buy.
Registration and deposits
Registration to bid is free. You may be required to place a refundable bid deposit. Please be aware that you must present photo identification when you register at the auction site (e.g. identity card, passport or driver's license).
Every auction is unreserved
Every item is sold to the highest bidder on auction day, with no minimum bids or reserve prices. Owners are forbidden by contract from bidding on items they are selling. Bids are irrevocable, and all sales are final. If you're the highest bidder when the auctioneer announces that an item has been sold, you're the new owner of that item.
Everything sells "as is, where is"
We recommend that you visit the auction site to inspect any items you'd like to buy before bidding on auction day. You may also send someone to the site to conduct the inspection on your behalf.
Transaction fees for buyers
Please note: Effective January 1, 2023, our transaction fees structure has been adjusted; Each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of:
- With the exception of on-farm auctions, each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of: (a) 10% on all Lots selling for CAD 12,000 or less, with a minimum fee of CAD 100 per Lot, (b) 4.85% on all Lots selling for over CAD 12,000 up to CAD 75,000, with a minimum fee of CAD 1,200 per Lot or, (c) CAD 3,638 on all Lots selling for over CAD 75,000
- For on-farm auctions, regardless of whether you are bidding online or in person, each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of: (a) 10% on all Lots selling for CAD 12,000 or less, (b) 3.85% on all Lots selling for over CAD 12,000 up to CAD 40,000, with a minimum fee of CAD 1,200 per Lot or, (c) CAD 1,540 on all Lots selling for over CAD 40,000.
USA and Mexico
- Each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of: (a) 10% on all Lots selling for USD 12,000 or less, with a minimum fee of USD 100 per Lot, (b) 4.85% on all Lots selling for over USD 12,000 up to USD 75,000, with a minimum fee of USD 1,200 per Lot or, (c) USD 3,638 on all Lots selling for over USD 75,000.
Europe (except United Kingdom)
- Each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of: (a) 10% on all Lots selling for EURO 12,000 or less, with a minimum fee of EURO 100 per Lot, (b) 4.85% on all Lots selling for over EURO 12,000 up to EURO 75,000, with a minimum fee of EURO 1,200 per lot, or (c) EURO 3,638 on all Lots selling for over EURO 75,000
- Each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of: (a) 10% on all Lots selling for GBP 6,500 or less, or (b) for Lots selling for greater than GBP 6,500, GBP 650 plus 2.35% on such amount greater than GBP 6,500
Each purchased Lot will be subject to a transaction fee of: (a) 10% on all Lots selling for USD 12,000 or less, with a minimum fee of USD 100 per Lot or (b) 4.85% on all Lots selling for over USD 12,000 up to USD 75,000 with a minimum fee of USD 1,200 per lot, or (c) USD 3,638 on all Lots selling for over USD 75,000.
Australia and New Zealand
- 7.5% of the Lot selling price, with a minimum fee of 100 (local currency) per Lot.
- (a) 10% on all Lots selling for JPY 1,000,000 or less, with a minimum fee of JPY 10,000 per Lot, or (b) 4.85% on all Lots selling for over JPY 1,000,000 up to JPY 3,400,000, with a minimum fee of JPY 100,000 per lot, or (c) JPY 164,900 on all Lots selling for over JPY 3,400,000.
The transaction fee applies to on-site, online and proxy purchases.
A $115 documentation fee will be charged on each titled item purchased if it is located in the United States (excluding California), Canada or Mexico. In California a $70 fee applies.
Payment and removal
Purchases must be paid in full within seven (7) days of the end of the auction.Buyers cannot remove their purchases from the auction site until their invoice is paid in full.
Cash payments will not be accepted. Please only pay from the same account from which you made the purchase.
If Ritchie Bros. can't deliver clear title on a purchase, the buyer is entitled to a full refund of the purchase price.
If Ritchie Bros. does not receive full payment within seven (7) days of the end of the auction, interest on overdue amounts will be paid by Purchaser at a rate of 18% per annum or at such other maximum rate as allowed by law, together with any legal or collection costs incurred by Auctioneers.
Read the terms and conditions of bidding
This information is provided as a summary only. When you participate in an auction, you must review and agree to the full terms and conditions before you bid (included in your listing catalog and when you enter the auction online). Please review the full terms and conditions carefully.
VAT and other DUTIES as they may apply are the BUYER'S RESPONSIBILITY. The following rules apply to purchases made in auctions that take place physically inside the European Union.
Value Added Tax (VAT) will apply in the following cases:
- Items that remain in the country where the auction takes place.
- Companies that are registered in the country where the auction takes place.
- EU buyers who fail to provide a valid VAT number and/or EU buyers who fail to provide valid proof of transport (complete CMR) within 90 days after the invoice date.
- Non EU buyers who fail to provide correct and complete Export Documents to RBA within the 90 days since invoice date.
Valid proof of transport for EU buyers:
A valid CMR document must mention the Ritchie Bros company as the sender in box 1, lot number and full lot description in box 6, signature of the receiver in box 24, plus the rest of the usual information.
Valid proof of transport for Exportation:
Official Customs documents provided by the corresponding Customs Authorities. The corresponding Ritchie Bros company must appear as the exporter on the export document. The lots must be clearly described and identifiable. We require the final proof of export (i.e. "exit confirmation" or "goods departed" confirmation). A document showing intention is not considered sufficient.
Important notice for Non-EU buyers
Buyers that will export the goods out of the European Union (non-EU buyers) are required to pay a deposit on all pieces of equipment bought at the auction. The deposit equals the local standard VAT rate calculated on the purchase price of the equipment. This deposit will be refunded to the nominated bank account of the buyer within five (5) business days after presentation of Proof of Final Export. This Proof of Final Export can be provided by your customs broker or freight forwarder. Non-EU Buyers should provide accurate bank details in order to facilitate timely refund of deposits.
To avoid the VAT deposit Non-EU buyers can engage the services of RB Logistics:
Tel. +31 168 392200
Fax. +31 168 392250
European Union Machinery Directive
Effective January 1, 1995
Certain items in this auction may require CE-marking. Items that are not CE-marked are offered for sale on the condition that any buyer intending to sell or use such item within the European Union will take the necessary measures to certify the item, if and as required under the European Union Legislation on Machinery implemented in the national legislation of the relevant member countries. The purchaser is responsible for all costs related to certification and upgrading. Please contact the manufacturer or his authorized representative within the EU for details.
Bonded Free Zone
The auctions of Moerdijk (NL), St-Aubin (FR) and Ocana (ES) are conducted in a bonded free zone. Certain items identified in the sale day listing catalogue, or otherwise announced at the auction, as "Not Duty Free Circulation EU" have not been entered into the European Union. It is the purchaser's responsibility to satisfy requirements of any kind in respect to the importation of any items into the European Union, or any other country. Such responsibility includes compliance with laws and regulations of the country including payment of taxes and duties, obtaining proper approvals and complying with any other requirements. The purchaser will engage his own broker. Ritchie Bros will not charge Value Added Tax (VAT) on these lots if properly cleared. Nominal documentation charges to the buyer for clearing the free zone will apply. Customs brokers will be on site to provide this service.