Online Bidding: Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the system requirements for the Ritchie Bros. online bidding service? [Answer]
Hardware – minimum requirements Supported Browser Types CPU Speed 1GHz Windows Internet Explorer Version 7 & above RAM 2GB (4GB for Vista Adobe Flash v 9.0.115 or greater is required to hear audio Hard Drive 40GB (200MB free) Mozilla Firefox Version 3.5 & above Display capable of 1024 x 768 resolution Safari Version 4 & above Sound card (only required for audio) Other browsers (including Chrome, AOL and Netscape 6.0) may work but are not officially supported Internet connection (High Speed recommended)
- What languages is online bidding offered in? [Answer] Our online bidding service is currently available in English, French, Spanish, Italian and German. If you are viewing our web site in another language, the English version will be launched by default. If you would like to view the interface in a different language, choose a different supported language from the dropdown menu at the top of your screen.
- Do I need software to bid online? [Answer] You do not need software to bid online at Ritchie Bros. auctions. You only need a computer with an internet connection. A high speed connection is recommended.
- What should I do if I lose my internet connection during the auction? [Answer] First, re-establish your internet connection. Once your connection is live, the auction will restart automatically. If it doesn't, return to the rbauction.com home page and start a new online bidding session.
- How can I improve the sound quality of the auction when I listen online? [Answer] The audio portion of the online auction broadcast is largely dependent on your internet connection speed and the amount of traffic on the internet at any given time. If your internet connection speed is at least 40Kbps, any audio dropouts or distorted sound should be temporary.
- Why does the auction audio sound high pitched (too fast) or low pitched (too slow)? [Answer] The auction audio will play too fast or slow if your computer's soundcard is not 100 percent SB-16 compliant.
- I can hear the auction audio but I can't see the online bidding interface. What's wrong? [Answer] The interface has probably been minimized. If so, you will see a button at the bottom of your computer screen saying "Ritchie Bros. Live Auction." Click on that button to bring the online bidding interface back into view.
- I can see the auction but I can't hear the audio. What's wrong? [Answer] Make sure your computer audio is not set to MUTE and that the volume is high enough, and that your computer speakers are turned on. If that does not resolve the issue, contact us for assistance.
- I'm watching an auction taking place in Europe. What is that odd symbol next to the money amounts? It is not the same as the euro symbol. [Answer] Our European auctions are conducted in euros. However, the euro symbol (€) does not display properly on computers with Windows 95 operating systems unless you install the patch available on the Microsoft web site.
- I registered to bid at the auction site. Can I bid online instead? [Answer] Yes – but you must register online as well. An on-site registration cannot be used to bid online. Find out how to register to bid online .
- How long does it take to process my registration? [Answer] First-time online bidders should allow two or three days for their registration to be processed. Before bidding online for the first time, you need to sign up for an online bidding account. Signing up and receiving approval to bid online can take up to one business day. Once approved you can register to bid online in specific auctions. You may be required to place a refundable deposit when you register. It may take another business day for your deposit to be confirmed and registration processed.
If you've bid online in the past, we recommend that you allow at least one business day for your registration to be processed.
- Can I cancel my registration or register under a different company name? [Answer] You don't need to cancel your registration if you decide not to bid. An unused registration will not affect your account or your bidding limit, and there is no penalty for failing to bid. However, if you would like to cancel your registration or change the company name you're bidding under, just sign in to your account and click on Registrations.
Find the auction you're interested in updating, then click on Cancel Registration (to cancel your registration) or Edit Registration Details (to register another account for the auction). If you'd like to register under a new account name, first add the account in the My Profile section.
BIDDING LIMITS AND BID DEPOSITS
- Do I have to pay a deposit before bidding online? [Answer] Depending on your bidding history with Ritchie Bros., you may be required to place a refundable bid deposit before you are approved to bid online. This bid deposit can be placed by Visa or MasterCard using our Online Payment Service, or by wire transfer.
- How do I change my bidding limit? [Answer] Just go to the Registrations section under My Account. Find the auction you want to increase your bidding limit for, click Edit registration details and then Request a bidding limit increase. We recommend you place your request 48 hours in advance. You can also contact Ritchie Bros. customer service for assistance. NOTE: you may not be able to change your bidding limit during an auction.
- Why is my available online bidding limit lower than my bidding limit? [Answer] Your available online bidding limit is equal to your total bidding limit, less any outstanding purchases and invoices. If you are required to submit a deposit before you bid online, your available bidding limit will show as zero until we have received your deposit.
- How is my bid deposit amount calculated? [Answer] Before bidding online, you may be required to place a refundable bid deposit. Your bid deposit is based on a percentage of your chosen bidding limit for a particular auction. The higher your chosen bidding limit, the greater the deposit required.
- I want to bid at one auction under two different company names. Do I have to submit separate deposits? [Answer] Yes: if you have multiple accounts within your main account (e.g. a personal account and a business account), you will be given separate online bidder numbers for each account – with separate online bidding limits. Your bid deposit is based on the bidding limit you choose for each account you're bidding with.
- I want to bid at several upcoming auctions under one account name. Do I have to submit separate bid deposits for each auction? [Answer] No: You do not need to submit a separate bid deposit for each auction. A single deposit allows access to all auctions for that account.
PAYMENT, INCLUDING FEES
- Do I have to pay any additional fees to bid online? [Answer] Payment terms and fees are the same, whether you bid in person, online or by proxy. There is no charge for registering or bidding online. You may need to place a refundable bid deposit. See Deposit & Payment Information in the auction details on our web site for more information.
- How can I pay when I bid online? [Answer] You can pay for your auction purchases by wire transfer. See Deposit & Payment Information in the auction details on our website for wire transfer details.
In many regions you can pay for your auction purchases with pre-approved financing through Ritchie Bros. Financial Services.
In most locations, you can use your Visa or MasterCard to make payments (up to US/CA$10,000) using our online payment service.
- I can't make it to the auction site on auction day. How do I bid online? [Answer] If you can't make it to the auction site, we offer two other options at most of our auctions: you can bid online in real time, or you can place a proxy bid. Find out more about bidding online or proxy bidding.
- Can I bid online in multiple auctions taking place at the same time? [Answer] Yes, you can bid online in multiple auctions simultaneously – in fact, it's easier than ever before. Make sure you register for each auction separately. On auction day, click Bid Now! next to each auction you've registered for on the auction calendar at rbauction.com. The different auctions will be launched in the same online bidding window. You will only be able to hear audio and place bids in one auction at a time, but you will be able to follow the bidding in the other auctions and auction rings in real time – so you know when the lots you are interested in are about to be sold. You can then switch to a different auction and start bidding with a simple mouse click. See an overview of our online bidding interface for more information.
- I was bidding online and my bid button suddenly became inactive. Why? [Answer] Your bid button is deactivated when the ask price exceeds your available online bidding limit. Make sure you have a sufficient bidding limit before the auction commences. If you need to increase your bidding limit, go to the Registrations section of your account or contact Ritchie Bros. customer service.
- Which languages is the online bidding service available in? [Answer] Our online bidding service is currently available in English, French, Spanish, Italian and German. If you are viewing our web site in another language, the English version will be launched by default. If you would like to view the interface in a different language, choose a different supported language from the dropdown menu at the top of your screen.
- I've forgotten my account password. How can I sign in to my account? [Answer] Forgotten your password? Don't worry. Just go to the account Sign in page and click Forgot password? After answering a security question, you will receive an email with a link to reset your password.
- Can I watch an auction online without registering to bid? [Answer] Yes, you can choose the ‘View Only' option to watch the auction online without registering first. You will not be able to place bids.test2