Clean and green.
At Ritchie Bros., we believe it's our responsibility to do everything we can to reduce our impact on the environment – from the simple things like making sure we've got plenty of recycling bins boxes in our offices to more complex undertakings like designing and building facilities that use green building strategies.
As we grow and expand as a company, we're continually exploring different ways we can reduce our environmental impact, and refining procedures we already have in place. Here are just some of the things we currently do to reduce our environmental impact:
- Implement recycling programs at all auction sites and administrative offices
- Establish standard operating procedures for spill prevention and remediation
- Ensure all paint and waste material from our refurbishing facilities is properly disposed of
- Recycle used wash water and blasting materials for our refurbishing operation
- Use low-flow plumbing and motion-activated, energy-efficient lighting in our new buildings
- Use energy efficient heating and cooling systems in our new buildings (at our facilities in Italy and Spain, solar panels were used.)
- Ensure all company vehicles are properly maintained in order to reduce fuel consumption and emissions
- Set yearly targets for utility consumption reduction
2012 Green Targets:
Reduce our utility consumption by 5% as compared to 2011.
Building with the environment in mind
Our global headquarters in Vancouver, Canada was purpose-built for our company and became LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certified in 2012. Beyond designing our headquarters to these high green building standards, we also follow other environmental initiatives on a daily basis, including the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products, reusable dishes instead of disposables, common print areas versus personal printers, and a building control system that powers down outside of key working hours.
In designing and operating our auction sites, the staff at Ritchie Bros. continue to research and explore environmentally friendly systems, materials and processes that will improve our impact on the environment while supporting the corporate strategy.
Recognized for our carbon disclosure
In the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) Canada 200 Report 2011, Ritchie Bros. was regarded as one of the leaders of CDP's Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index, ranking 8th with a 79 Carbon Disclosure Score. The Carbon Disclosure Score represents the quality and comprehensiveness of individual company responses, measuring both the quantity and depth of information provided.
Ritchie Bros.' carbon inventory is prepared in accordance to standards of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol and its principles of transparency, relevance, accuracy, consistency and completeness. Since 2010, our carbon inventory has been reviewed by our partner in sustainability, Climate Smart Business Services.
View the Ritchie Bros. Environmental Policy.